Sunday, February 20, 2011

Spiritual Moment

I have one amazing family. I have a family who worships our Savior Jesus Christ. I have a family who is strong in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. And I have a family who has taught me that everyone else comes first! I am eternally grateful for the opportunity I had to serve today.

This morning, like the last 3 Saturdays, have started out pretty early. It is kinda sad when every day for the last 24+ days, my life has started with an alarm clock. Anyways, I had the opportunity to help out at the Bishop's Storehouse. It is part of the Welfare Square organization with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. When the church was first organized back in the early 1800's, the Prophet received divine counsel from the Lord himself on what steps needed to happen to take care of the Lord's children while here on this earth. One of those programs was the Welfare program, including the Bishop's Storehouse. What happens is that those of us who are blessed enough to have surplus in goods and money are to donate that which is within our power and desire to the Church, to then be distributed to those who are going through a rough time in their lives. For example, when my dad lost his job about 10 years ago, we did not have enough money from my mom's job alone to take care of all four of us kids, to pay the mortgage, to buy gas, and to buy groceries. So we approached the Bishop (head leader) of our congregation (Ward) and explained, in humility, our situation, and he was able to provide us with information about this service available. It truly was a huge blessing in our lives. We were able to use the little money mom had to pay bills, and the food was provided to us by the church. Then, once my dad was able to be employed again, we were then able to return the favor by donating back to the program so others could benefit from it the way we did.

So helping out today really brought the tears to my eyes knowing exactly how some of these families felt. There was no judging on my part because I had literally been in their shoes before. I am so grateful for the programs that are set up by the Lord, himself, because they can never fail when we faithfully trust Him.

For more information, you can visit:
http://lds.org/service/humanitarian?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment