Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Some Quality Family Time

There is this boy....who has red hair...is super tall...and makes my heart soar every time he holds my hand!

But this story is not about him....it is about his Angel of a Mother and her awesome talent.

A few weeks ago, I was with the Adams family, and I noticed that all the girls had super cute skirts on. Being the observant person I was, I commented on the fact that all of their skirts were darling. All 3 sisters commented that their Angel of a Mother had made them. I was super de duper jealous.

These skirts were most definitely of superior quality. If Mama Adams made them for a department store, she could retire with millions of dollars. Being the person that I am, I sidled up to Mama Adams and told her that I needed a skirt too! {I, of course, told her in a nice way that didn't make me seem like I was a moocher and just wanted free things....because that is not how I roll!}

Mama Adams suggested that we get together for a girl's day and sew some skirts. Micah (Daniel's sister) called last Saturday and set up the date for today {Tuesday!}. Since I got the phone call from Micah, I have been beside myself with excitement!

Let me give you some background really fast! The Adams family is amazing. Dan and LuAnn had and raised 6 amazing kids. {However, I have only met 5 of them since the 6th is serving a full-time mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Massachusetts}. They are all incredibly nice, and are all respectful. I got to spend a weekend with them about a month ago, and just loved every minute of it. And, of course, they raised an amazing man that may have stolen my heart...

Of the 6 kids...there are 4 girls, and 2 boys. It goes G, G, B, B, G, G. The first "G" is Micah, and she is married and has a baby girl. The first "B" is my Daniel.

Micah and Mama Adams came and picked me up from UVU today around 12:30 so that we could go together and pick out fabric and supplies needed for the skirts. I was so excited to be with them. However, they still make me a little nervous because I feel like I need to impress them all the time, and make them love me. {I know that sounds silly....but it is just how I feel!}

We went to an awesome fabric store and picked out some great fabric. I got two different fabrics. I picked out a yellow on yellow paisley pattern {that was super on sale...YES!} and then this pink on pink that fabric that makes you feel like a girly girl. It is not really something that I would have picked out normally...but it just spoke to me! And I needed to get it for my new skirt.

We headed over to Walmart to pick up zippers for the skirts as well. After that, we headed to Adams Family Headquarters (Dan and LuAnn's beautiful home) and sat down to eat some lunch. Delish!

After lunch was consumed and cleaned-up, it was crunch time!!

Measurements were taken...fabric was spread out...scissors were flying....and thread pieces were piling up! I LOVED every minute of it. Because Mama Adams is super talented, I let her take the reins on everything so that I actually got a skirt out of the process. LOL

We talked...she sewed....we shared stories. Again, Mama Adams is an Angel. She shows her love for you openly, and lets you know that you are important through the little things she does. There were moments of silent adoration on my part. This woman was willing to take me into her home, and her life, and show me that I was cared for. It made me miss my own Mama, who I don't get to see very often. I don't think words can express how much gratitude I have for Mama Adams right now.

One broken needle...5 brads...dinner consumed...and several hours later, I was presented with a beautiful yellow masterpiece. My excitement of my new skirt was brimming! I wanted to take lots of pictures and send it to everyone I knew! I want to wear my skirt everywhere for a week so that everyone I meet can see my masterpiece. I want to shout it from the rooftops that my life was again blessed because I know Mama Adams.

So...here are pictures so you can enjoy a bit of my day too!

Cutting out the pieces of the skirt!

The first stitch! Can you feel my excitement!
The belt for the front of the skirt

Mama Adams serging the edges

Micah measuring and cutting out her own skirt.

Me and Daniel

The finished product! {Excuse my shirt...}
I love love love it!



1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad this happened. And you don't have to make people love you- it's inevitable. I love you tons!!

    ReplyDelete