Tuesday, June 28, 2011

"I'm proud of you"

Those are words that bring a smile to my face and a warmth to my heart. If everyone knew how powerful those words were, they would be said more often for more small accomplishments.

A couple of months ago, I decided to change my major. This came with lots of thinking, lots and lots of prayer, and lots of talks with my friends and family. I was going to school to major in Civil Engineering. After many opportunities working with children, I have changed my major to Secondary Education. I will major in Math and minor in Physics.

While I was home in Memphis, I had an opportunity to visit with previous employers and previous professors at the University of Memphis. While preparing for the reunions, I was nervous to break the news to them about the major change. (ps: I have wanted to be a Civil Engineer since I was 12......) The first person I told was a previous boss who has been a Civil Engineer for more than 50 years. He told me he was shocked, but proud of me.

Then I told one of the professors that made the most impact in my life. He is the one of pushed me harder, made me work harder, and made me question everything so that I could know for sure the truth in all things. He expected the most out of me, and then expected more because he knew the potential that was in me. I was the most nervous in telling him. Once I told him, there was some disappointment in his eyes. He told me that I was one of his grandest students and it kind of felt like I was "giving up". That broke my heart. He saw that I was sad, and then went on to say that I should stick with it, especially on the hard days, and do my best. However....he did not say he was proud of me for following my heart.

Lastly, I made a phone call to one of my best friends. We have known each other for many years. We met in my freshman engineering class at Memphis. I was nervous to talk to him too. We made small talk, and then he asked me about school. I hesitantly told him that I had changed my major. He started laughing and then went on to say that when he first met me, he knew that I would someday be a teacher. He said that I had the right type of personality to teach and change kids' lives for the better. He then said those magic words to me: "I'm proud of you" That meant a whole lot coming from him!

I am soo grateful for those people in my life who care about me as a person, and know that I don't do things without thinking through them, a lot! My parents raised me to be someone who relied on the Lord and who trusted in the Spirit of the Lord to lead me on the path that would be in most harmony with the will of the Lord. I do things in my life that will make both my Heavenly Father, and earthly father say to me: "I'm proud of you!"

1 comment:

  1. I think it is SO awesome that you know what you want to do! Even if it's not the same thing you thought you ALWAYS wanted to do!! Life chages as we get older and we have no way of knowing how the experiences we have will affect us!! I think its great that you have had such wonderful experiences with kids that you want to change your career path to educate them!! It seriously takes lots of guts to change your mind on something like that!!
    You will be a FANTASTIC teacher.... one of those teachers that EVERYONE wants to get into their class.... one of those teachers that can make a hard subject like math seem SO fun and SO interesting!!!
    You will be great!! And I am proud you know what you want for your future!!

    PS- Miss you my friend!! I hope you are having a great time on the farm!! Have you found that cowboy yet?!?! :0)

    ReplyDelete